Tuesday, 26 May 2015

MY WEIGHT LOSS STORY- How I lost 15 kgs and kept it off



“How did Srijita become so hot?” a friend of a friend of a friend of friend asked my best friend. Now while a lot of people would be happy to receive such a compliment, I certainly wasn’t one of them. Firstly I had serious objection to the word hot (more on my feministic ideas later), secondly it really makes me feel like I was an ugly duckling or something when I was fat. Maybe I was, but it’s cruel to get reminded of it. So how did this entire transformation come about? Was there a magic pill? Some super effective diet? Some miracle workout? Did it take just a week? The answer to all of the above questions would be a big and vehement NO.
            So let us start at the very beginning, by giving you some quick details about myself. I am a Bengali and we love our maccher jhol (fish curry) and bhaat (rice). I was never thin per se in my entire life. I was chubby as a baby, as a kid and as a teenager. I had an abysmally low immunity which is why I would fall sick frequently as a kid and maybe lose some weight then, but the ghee and rice which I would have as breakfast before going to school (which was the only thing I could digest back then without throwing up) would make it come back running to me. I had a round face (I still somewhat do) which would create an illusion of being fatter than I already was and then there was genetics. All my pishis (if you have watched Vicky Donor by now you should know I’m talking about my aunts and not my cats :p) have wide hips and heavy thighs which they very lovingly transferred to me. So with all this, how did I ever manage to lose weight? Read on to find out.



THE REVELATION
It was May 2012, and I was on a beach vacation. I knew that I was I becoming fat, but hadn’t weighed myself. In that vacation my family was planning my brother’s sangeet, when an aunt of mine arbitrarily commented that I won’t look  good when I would dance because I’m so fat. That hurt. That hurt very very bad. I loved dancing, I’m a trained Bharatnatyam dancer, but my genre isn’t restricted to only that. They say I learnt to dance before I learnt to walk, and when someone says that you can’t do what you love to do because you are fat, it hurt. I had had enough; I had faced some serious rejections that year, from love to friends who didn’t want to hang out with me because I wasn’t cool enough. I decided to join a gym and made a small start by joining a local gym at my locality.


THE BEGINNING
One treadmill, one cross trainer, one cycling machine, a twister, a medicine ball and some weights was all my first gym had. I was skeptical, it didn’t match up to all the images I had seen in movies, but it was my board year and I couldn’t afford the time to go to a different location for gymming. But the biggest perk was that my gym had a great trainer. He trained in some of the most expensive gyms in Kolkata, and used to train here because the owner was his friend. The first day at the gym, I was made to meet my greatest foe, the weighing scale. As I waited more earnestly than my exam results, the scale showed that I was a  whopping 72 kg. I started training, stamina wasn’t an issue for me as I had danced all my life, but it was torturous for my body then. I got introduced to the meaning of exercise soreness. Month one ended and it was time for encounter two with my foe, and as usual it hated me so much that it showed me that I had gained a kg. I was devastated. As much as my trainer tried to explain that it was muscle, and muscle weighed more than fat and blah blah, I couldn’t care less; I wanted my weight to drop. So he put me on a diet. A no carb for dinner plan. And with the combined effect I eventually dropped 10 kg in around 4 months.



PHASE 2
I had to quit the gym after that because boards were round the corner, and my family and I realize the importance of academics in life. But I didn’t want the efforts to go to waste and quite honestly, at that phase I had gotten pretty addicted to the compliments. So then I chanced upon the discovery of workout videos and DVDs. Cost effective, time effective, low space and equipment consuming it was like a candy jar for kids with so much of variety to choose from. I chose Jillian Michaels, and I feel it was the best decision of my life. I’ll do detailed posts on all the workout videos and DVDs that I have tried to give you an honest review and results of the same. Either way, workout dvds and a controlled diet made me lose around 5 kg more.


MAINTAINING THE VICTORY
According to me one of the toughest aspects about weight loss is maintenance. There is no point losing it if it is all going to come back the again. They say that 80 percent of weight loss is diet and the rest 20 percent is exercise. Personally, I don’t agree. Of course, what you eat is vitally important; however exercise helps wonders in maintenance. When your muscles become really strong and tight, it is very difficult to expand in such situation. Your face might feel a little bloated, or maybe you will see a kg or two increase if you eat for a short while without control (short, mind you), but your stomach and calves and arms remain tight for a longer time if you’ve successfully exercised for years. I also have pcos for which I do yoga too now. Therefore exercise videos are my go to for maintenance along with my maintenance diet. However if you have a wedding or a party to attend, my quick fix diet helps me lose a kg or two before the event. I can do a detailed post on the weight loss, the maintenance and the quick fix diet if you want. Now I'm still continuing my struggle to find my weightloss nirvana. Hope Ireach it some day :-)






Thank you for reading my journey, I hope I could be of some help. For any questions or queries please do comment below :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment